Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lessmann

There are three Leszman families who settled in Pine Creek and were on the 1870 census together: Paul Lessman, Michael Lessman, and Anton Lessman. These three may all be from Brusy, West Prussia and could be brothers.

Michael Lessmann married Clara Studzinska in 1848, Brusy Parish Poland; he later married Susanna Brunke in 1854 and she may be related to the Bronk family of Winona, Minnesota.

Paul Lessmann married Catharina Stenzel in 1855 in Brusy, Parish and they came to the Untied States and arrived in New York on August 29, 1860 on the ship Shakespeare. Also on the ship was Anton Lessmann listed as a laborer the same as Paul and August Bambenek who also settled Pine Creek.

Michael Lessman was born September 1825 in Turowiec, Brusy Parish, Poland. Michael it is not known when Michael came over possibly between 1854 and 1868 Sussana may have come over with him as three childern were born in Wisconsin. Susanna may have died between 1868 and 1870 because in 1870 Michael married Josephine Robinski or Zabinski in Pine Creek.

Anton Lessman was born Bet. 1830 - 1833 in Prussia Poland, and died between 1876 - 1880. Anton married Josephine after coming to the United States and Josephine was born about 1845 in Prussia Poland.

Paul (Pawel) Lessmann was born March 23, 1829 in Brusy, Pomorskie, near Turoweiz, Poland (Bruß, Konitz, West Prussia). Paul was one of the founders of Pine Creek mentioned in the histories and died January 12, 1899 in Pine Creek, Trempealeau, Wisconsin. Paul’s wife Catherine Stencel was born January 02, 1839 in Poland, and died November 04, 1879 in Pine Creek, Trempealeau, Wisconsin.

2 comments:

Kate said...

According to my sister's research, Michael Lessman was my great great grandfather. His daughter Rosa was my great grandmother. I think I have that straight!

Kathryn Kasimor

Unknown said...

Hello Kate, I believe my great grandfather was Anton Lessman who was probably a brother to Michael. His son Simon (james)was my grandfather. My grandfather came to Montana along with a brother John. Eventually two more brothers, a sister, and mother Josephine moved to Red Lodge. My father and his mother Emily Jesse Kasperlic (from Wynona) moved to Billings where I live in 1917 while my grandfather James Lesman moved to Aberdeen Wash. I have just read some history about Brusy where our family came from and wrote the mayor there for information. If you would like to know more of what I am learning please write. M. Lesman pintoramt@gmail.com